Monday, December 10, 2012

In Memory of 'Biriyani'!!!


In my childhood days, I used to listen two things about Hyderabad; one is Mohammad Azaharuddin (former cricketer of India), unlike others of those days, my father was also a fan of him and used to watch his performances in DD National. The second one is ‘Nizam’s Biriyani’ which was very common in popular conversations and even used to come in newspapers. I don’t know whether those newspapers used to refer that it was a cuisine in the kitchens of the Nizam, rulers of Hyderabad state and later evolved as popular biriyani or ‘Hyderabadi Biriyani’, thus they are calling it as ‘Nizam’s Biriyani’.

As a child I had no idea of Hyderabad and I thought that biriyani may be some kind of special food like our polao but why is associated with the word  Nizam? So, I came into my conclusion that Nizam is some shop owner who makes delicious biriyani and thus he became famous and got lots of money.

The second thing, I thought, that as the word Nizam is related with some monarchy and something like king, ruler so Nizam may not be some general person (Surprisingly in Bengal, especially in our area, frequently you will get names like Nizam, Nawab, Akbar, Azhar, Saddam even Laden too!). No, that does not mean that my name came from Abu Salem! It has a different story. May try to wright that in some other day.

Later, when little ‘history’ got into my imaginations, I fixed that Nizam once the monarch of Hyderabad has been dethroned by coloniser and then he got into hotel and restaurant business and sells biriyani  (like our Bengal kinds which sell rice, dal and so on). When his business developed, he might have opened several branches of his hotel (like today's food retail chains).

After few years, when I came to Hyderabad, then I realised how silly my thoughts were and how popular conversations and newspapers can lead our imaginations into a different world altogether. Yeah, google was not there, otherwise I would have googled it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment